ABOUT PARKINSON'S SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Parkinson’s SA is a not-for-profit organisation that has provided support and information to people living with Parkinson’s and other movement disorders, their carers, family, community and health professionals for over 30 years.
The organisation represents and supports the 8,000 people with Parkinson’s in SA and their family members. The organisation provides support across the continuum of the condition, from diagnosis, through the early stages and throughout the progression of the disease. Parkinson’s SA provides expert information and support services that no private or government agency offers.
Parkinson’s SA provides support, education and information to people living with Parkinson’s and other movement disorders, their carers, family, the community and health professionals.
FREE FACE TO FACE COUNSELLING AND SUPPORT LINE 1800 644 189
• Provides information, practical and confidential emotional support for anyone affected by Parkinson’s or other movement disorders.
• A range of printed information sheets, also available online.
• An extensive library of books, DVDs and other information relating to movement disorders are available for loan to members.
• A regular newsletter for members that gives information for managing Parkinson’s and other movement disorders; about upcoming events and updates on research.
• Seminars, workshops and a speakers’ group to help people living with Parkinson’s and other movement disorders, their families, friends, and members of the community.
• Training for health professionals in the community and residential care to better understand and manage Parkinson’s and other movement disorders.
• Support, education and recreational groups.
• Information about, and referral to community services and health professionals with specialised knowledge of Parkinson’s and other movement disorders.
• Representing the needs and interest of those affected by Parkinson’s and other movement disorders to the State and Federal governments.
HOW THE SERVICES ARE DELIVERED
With a dedicated team of 7 staff and supported by volunteers, Parkinson’s SA offers many informative and supportive workshops, courses and seminars for people with Parkinson’s, carers, family members and friends and health professionals.
UNDERSTANDING PARKINSON’S COMMUNITY SEMINAR
A general introduction to Parkinson’s for people with Parkinson’s, their family members and members of the local community. Held in both metro and regional areas.
LEARN NOW, LIVE WELL SEMINARS
Seminars designed for those who have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s or another movement disorder within the last 5 years, and their family members.
MOVING AHEAD WITH PARKINSON’S SEMINARS
Seminars designed for those who have had a diagnosis of Parkinson’s for several years, and their family members.
CARING MATTERS SEMINARS
The first of a new seminar series for family members/carers on issues relating to the care of someone with Parkinson’s or another neurological movement disorder.
Seminars for health professionals.
CARING WITH CALM COURSE AND FINDING CALM COURSES
A small group counselling program to enhance well-being and explore ways for people to accept what they cannot change. Participants explore strategies to cope better with life challenges and their personal emotional/mental responses to stresses. This year, the course for those who have the diagnosis (called “Finding Calm”) will differ slightly in content and structure from the course for family members/carers (“Caring with Calm”).
Both courses focus on acceptance and mindfulness, management of difficult thoughts and feelings, and living according to your values.
These friendly and welcoming gatherings provide social contact, support and learning from one another and guest speakers.
Provide the benefits of involvement in social and creative pursuits such as a weekly Brushlines Art Group, a monthly Photography Group and Dance with Parkinson’s classes for people living with Parkinson’s and other movement disorders.
For people with specific movement disorders:
• Dystonia Support Group
• Parkinson’s Plus Group (for those affected by Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, Multiple System Atrophy and Corticobasal Degeneration)
OTHER GROUPS ADDRESSING PARTICULAR ISSUES AND SITUATIONS
• Focus on Family Carers
• Deep Brain Stimulation
• 20s-50s Living with Young Onset Parkinson’s
• Women with Parkinson’s and other movement disorders
A range of community exercise programs including specific Parkinson’s sessions are held throughout the metropolitan area and in some country areas.